(contact us for more markets near your B&B neighbourhood)
TIP: Check the local free Paris guides (sold at newsstands) for exact open dates - as these are subject to change. Markets are generally closed Christmas Day too!
1. La Défense - With 350 stands, the largest and most festive Christmas markets (fave) in the surreal setting of high-rise buildings.
Open: November 23rd - December 27th, 2011.
Metro: La Defense
2. Christmas Market and Ice Rink at Trocadero - Over 120 stands peddling Christmas goods, an ice-skating rink and "snow villages". This one's ideal for the kids.
Open: Daily December 8th - January 2nd, 2012.
3. Christmas Market and Santa's Village at Saint-Sulpice -
Open: daily December 1st - December 24th, 2011.
Location: Place Saint-Sulpice, Paris 6th arrondissement
4. Place des Abbesses - nestled in the heart of the quaint Montmartre neighborhood.
Open: daily in December.
Location: Place des Abbesses, 18th arrondissement
Whats Open Christmas Day?
1. La Tour Eiffel
2. Curiosite et Magic! Click here
3. Centre Pomidou Museum! (Modern Art) Click here
4. Salvador Dali Museum (Montmartre) Click here
9. Many shops and cafes around Rue des Rosiers in the Marais should be open as usual on Christmas Day
TIP: Get a copy of Pariscope at any newsstand - for a Whats On guide to Paris. On sale every Wednesday!
Christmas Shows in Paris!
1. Moulin Rouge. Click here
Restaurants Open Christmas Day!
Well known Brasseries (such as those run by Brasseries Flo and Freres Blanc) and restaurants remain open for Christmas Day. Such as La Coupole, Julien, Le Vaudeville, Bofinger, Le Boeuf sur le Toit.
Refer to this great new blog we have just discovered for a complete list of open restaurants for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day! PARIS BY MOUTH!
Christmas Lights Tour!
- Christmas Decor at Notre Dame Cathedral
- Bercy Village Christmas lights (12th arrondissement)
- Champs Elysees Christmas Lights and decor (8th arrondissement)
- Avenue Montaigne lights (8th arrondissement)
- Place Vendome (1st arrondissement)
- Disneyland Paris - a great way to spend Christmas with the kids!
If a more traditional Christmas appeals, the archbishop of Paris will officiate at the midnight mass at Notre Dame Cathedral. There is a 6pm mass for the kids too! TIP: Arrive Early! Metro: Notre Dame de Lorette Other midnight mass locations:
- Sacre Coeur Basilica Midnight Mass and mass at 7pm! Address: Parvis du Sacré Coeur, Paris 18th. Metro: Anvers
- Midnight Mass at Eglise de la Madaleine and Nativity - doors open 9.30 Address: 1, place de la Madeleine, Paris 8th Metro: Madeleine/RER: Auber
wonderful and safe