TIPS: Pinch a few Paris Pennies
1. Free museum entry first Sunday of each month for all major museums. Louvre; Moyen Age; d’Orsay; Picasso; Rodin; Quai Branly, Pompidou.
2. Free in the evenings: Maison Europeanne de la Photographie (Wed) and Musee des art et Metiers (Thurs)
TIP: There is a shorter line/entry into the Louvre from the ‘Louvre-Rivoli’ underground metro. Virtually no line taking 10-20 minutes to enter not 60!
TIP: Pocket sized ‘What’s On’ guides out Wednesdays (L'officiel des Spectables OR Pariscope) sold in news kiosk for o.40euro listing FREE shows and events as well as timetables for museums, cinemas, recitals, exhibitions. 1. Glimpse the local jazz scene every Monday night at 7 Lézards, a jazz club in the Marais where the house band performs without a cover charge. 10 rue des Rosiers MAP
2. Open for 60 years, the Latin Quarter jazz club Caveau de la Huchette 5 rue de la Huchette, MAP, turns into a free dance floor Thurs to Sat nights.
1. Notre Dame Cathedral: No fee first Sunday each month (Oct to Mar) to climb the 387 step North Tower to glimpse the flying buttresses that support this gothic architectural structure and famous gargoyles and to view the most spectacular view across Paris. 6 Parvis Notre Dame, Place Jean-Paul II
2. Visit the awe-inspiring Gothic Sainte-Chapelle's 15 exquisite stained glass panels walls and rose window. No FEE first Sunday of the month Nov to Mar. Free recitals too. MAP
3. Criss-cross the Seine River on nearly 40 wooden, metal, and stone bridges, from the 400-year-old Pont Neuf to the eye-shaped steel Simone-de-Beauvoir.
2. Relish the peaceful vantage point of the Eiffel Tower from the garden at Maison de Balzac, the home of 19th-century writer Honoré de Balzac. 47 Rue Raynouard, 75016 Paris MAP
3. Visit the Père-Lachaise Cemetery and the graveyard's celebrity residents, from Oscar Wilde's grave to Jim Morrison. 16 rue de Repos 75016 Paris MAP
4. Grab a free copy of the bicycling map, "Carte Vélo à Paris," at any tourism office and bike rental agencies. Navigate the city's maze of bike lanes and scenic routes.