This months Travel Tips: Authenticity on a Budget Part 2 -
+ a random selection of new favourite finds around town!
Authenticity on a Budget
You don't have to be spend big to enjoy Paris' local and international delicacies. You don't even have to spend! Here is a list of Paris' FREE Eats! Places that offer free food, if you're around on the right day and right time!
1. Tribal Cafe: This Eastern restaurant, with its worn leather benches, has free couscous Friday and Saturday evenings and mould-French fries on Wednesday and Thursday evenings. 2 cour des Petites Ecuries 75010 MAP
2. Le Grenier serves complimentary couscous Saturday nights, September to April starting at 7 p.m. in an inviting setting with live pop and jazz music. 152 rue Oberkampf MAP
3. Watch for the annual week of FREE wine and food tasting parties (usually July and November) hosted by Le Fooding, a local group and Paris restaurant guide, who organizing various gastronomic events, dedicated to putting the "feeling" back into (French) "food". Website (in French)
4. Held yearly the second weekend in October (9-13 October 2013) the free Harvest Festival of Montmartre celebrates being the only remaining wine-growing region of Paris with free food tastings, grape-stomping, fireworks, concerts, and a parade. The streets are closed off to cars and its one big foodie and festive heaven. View the website for event details HERE.
Putting on our Pariscope!
Our newest not-so-secret finds about town!
A spa/yoga cafe. After a morning at the lovely spa at L'Echappe, have brunch (only weekends) upstairs, for €25 per person for a huge buffet brunch. 64 rue de la Folie Méricourt MAP
Best Burgers in Paris
1. Coffee Parisien Just steps from the Mabillon metro, this noisy, busy diner is never empty. Famous for it's burgers (and breakfast), it is a bit of a trendy local writers hang out. A typical American diner with a touch of French refinement.
4 rue Princesse, 75006 MAP
2. L'Eclair - a Cocktail Cafe + Brunch & Burger Bar
Great breakfasts, famous burgers, even better drinks. This Quintessential Paris Bar has amazing atmosphere, it's criminally comfy you could spend hours there with friends. A custom cocktail list as enticing as its cafe menu 32 rue Cler 75007 MAP
A beautiful place: Bercy Village
Located in the 12th arrondissement, Bercy Village and Park is one Paris destination that is often overlooked and rarely in any guides. Needless to say the crowds are blissfully thin, except for weekends when the Parisians flock to the strip of cobble-stoned cafe and shopping heaven. The Bercy park is a stunning manicured playground next door and a resting place, full of tranquility and space. A wonderful alternative to the beautiful but crowded Luxembourg or Tuileries.
Metro: Cour St-Emillion MAP
French Comedy and Magic
Did you know?! Apparently Paris has the most number of magic shops in the world apart from Las Vegas?
Le Double Fond - A cosy café-bar with a little theatre underneath. Expect to find nightly shows with a variety of characters: a mentalist, a French cowboy, a mad scientist and a more normal magician, all performing somewhat eccentric but well executed and extremely entertaining magic. Find locals here, though foreigners receive a warm welcome!
1, place du Marché St Catherine 75004 MAP